Friday 12 October 2012

26. Directors Of Narrative/Performance Genre

My video is obviously based on sport, and the key video I have found from researching so far is The Script - Hall Of Fame. I want to research the director and the type of influence they have on the video and whether I can also create the same.

Video; Hall Of Fame - The Script feat. Will.I.Am
Director; Ethan Lader 

The majority of Ethan Lader's videos seem to follow the trend of being narrative/performance just like The Hall Of Fame, for example, he has created the videos, Don't Let Me Fall - B.O.B, Jason Derulo - What If and Mariah Carey - Oh Santa. He also produced previous narrative/performance videos for The Script such as Science and Faith so has worked with the band previously. This video is about life and moments people share, cleverly constructed showing the performance aspect but the narrative part faded in behind it. I really like the idea and may try to do this at some point myself as the it shows each part of the video at the same time. For example, the cars going past as if it's through him, and a girl fading through him, potentially representing his emotions and how he's feeling, relating to the song. 
Ethan Ladder has produced music videos for many people, in 2010 producing two back to back number one videos for B.O.B, Nothing On You and Just The Way You Are. Ethan's genre/style particularly in this video that is portrayed is that of using a collage and arty style in his videos.  However, this is his style in this video, he adapts his style depending on the type of artist. As he quoted, "When it comes to music videos it’s essential that you love music. I see music. I feel music. Music drives my life. It’s important for me as a Director to be able to put myself aside, and step into the shoes of the musician and create a piece that showcases them. That’s why when everyone asks me “What’s my style? What makes an Ethan Lader video?” If I do my job right, you won’t know. Instead you’ll see my name in the credits and be like “Damn, he’s like a chameleon.” I adapt to each song, each artist I work with, because everyone is so different." This shows how he can change his style to adapt, for example, the video Hall Of Fame - The Script, is still a concept video but as the video is 'real' and passionate he shows this by not using the 'free' type cartoon style as he previously has showing his all round talent. 

From researching Ethan Lader I will take inspiration from him and how he can adapt his style and how talented he is as he can change the type of video dependant on the artist. 





No comments:

Post a Comment