Wednesday 5 December 2012

40. Digipak Drafts

I have finally begun producing my digipak for my axillary task. As I have said previously in my research of digipaks, I will go against conventions of stereotypical pop ballad artists, particularly Christina Augilera. Before I stated that I wanted to go totally against these conventions. I want to go against the theory of Laura Mulvey and her belief that all women are shown in a sexual manor. I decided to use colours and images that would stand out and course an effect. As I stated before, I wanted to use solid images and that's what I have tried to do as they create more meaning to me. When looking at Christina Augilera I believe that her digipaks don't really show much meaning behind them, where I want to create an emotional connection and meaning behind mine, relating to the feeling behind my video and narrative.

Obviously I have created some drafts to show my progress through the designing of my digipak and have decided to blog them to show how I got my final design. I started with the back cover of the digipak;

Draft One - Back Cover


Here is my first draft of the back of my digipak. As I said I would, I have used one solid image as the background and edited it to create a vintage, aged look to make the tree look as if it's shadowed so it stands out. I used the tree in my main image throughout as to me, it represents growth and the growth of the person. I believe that sport allows someone to grow as a person and as my idea is about someone going through struggles to come back fighting a grow I believe this is the best representation to use. The tree is used to metaphor the person in my video how they stand tall and continue to grow. This is why I have used it on the back cover. It represents the end of the digipak but also the end of the 'journey' you've shared with the talent throughout. The picture I have used is a screen shot from my actual video footage which means it directly relates to my video, I used this as it seemed to fit what I wanted to create perfectly and the angle was exactly what I wanted to create to begin with.

I love the effect I've used on this picture as it produces light on the right promoting the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. I also like the contrast in the colours and effect as it goes from dark at the bottom and then shows this light. By using the black coloured font on the back of this when writing the list of songs it allows them to stand out to the audience and recognise the song titles. However, to improve this aspect I could of made it bigger as the text seems to be quite small despite the amount of free space their actually is and to make it stand out further. Although I like the solid font I have also used as it makes the song titles easy to read and sticks to the 'simple' aspect of my cover that I want to remain.

I included the picture of my talent in the corner to relate to what the CD is about, showing the sport aspect. I also cut this front a screen shot and cut round her on the Mac computer meaning I was left with the aspect I wanted. I edited the picture to fit in with the background, however, I believe it looks very sharp and that it looks as if she shouldn't actually be there which is not what I wanted to create. I would prefer it if it was more subtle than that. So, personally, I didn't know if I would actually keep it there and didn't know if the image overall would look better if I didn't include this aspect into my work. Although, I like the idea of including this image because it shows her in a sporting aspect but also her from the back rather than the front, as the number on the back of the shirt is important to people and often the notable part. I may use this in other aspects of my digipak.

By including the bar code and the scan code this completes conventions of digipaks, however I haven't included links to websites relating to the artist or included information about the record label and rights that are often seen, missing out key conventions that will make it look far more professional. Therefore on my second draft it's vital that I include these. I obviously want to make my work as professional as possible. However, I may change the idea of the scan code on the back and include it in another place, because I believe I can make it look better this way as right now I don't feel like it looks right where I have included. To improve this I will edit it out on my next draft and see how it looks, I may try and incorporate it in another place so I still have it as part of the convention. Although I will improve on the aspect of missing out key conventions, however, I don't feel the need to change my idea massively because I have happy with initial basic idea of it.

Draft Two - Back Cover



My second draft is similar to my first one, like I said, I would remain with the same initial idea. However, I have made slight changes to it to try and improve it. The most recognisable one is removing the image of my talent out. This is due to it looking as if it didn't belong and that it looked 'too sharp'. I have kept with the simple aspect of the solid image for the same reasons as stated above. I believe this looks better without the image in the corner due to the fact it's far simpler and that's the type of idea I wished to create. The two images meant the idea looked 'messy' to me and the factor that she didn't belong. Even though I liked the image and thought that it related to the idea, I believe the simpler the better in this case and it works well without the second image and I will incorporate it in another aspect later on.

I have stuck to the same colour scheme as I believe it worked well and was effective in what I was trying to create. Once again keeping the same font throughout showing continuity and using it as a recognisable font when relating to the artist as the 'trademark' font. The bold, capital font I believe shows strength. I also felt the black stood out on the light colour so it would be a bad idea to change it. I included a link to the artists website including intertexuality once more, however I removed the scan code like I said I would to see what it looked like without it. I believe it essentially looks better with it, I will just have to reshuffle where it goes. I also need to add more conventions in, for example, as stated before, information about the record label and who's releasing the album. On my final design I will definitely ensure I include this.

Lastly, I have made the font bigger on the key text of the track list filling a lot more of the space which I think is far more effective, showing that it's far more bold and stands out to the artist.

Draft One - Front Cover

 


Here is my first draft for my front cover. I decided to use another solid image, yet again without the artist in. This is once more down to the focus being on the message and inspirational meaning of the video rather than the artist when conforming to Laura Mulvey's theory. I want to go against conventions so found this would be the best way to do it and highlight the key elements and setting. By having this image it means the main focus is the shadowed basketball hoop which makes it stand out and give an indication of what the songs about. I decided to use this picture due to the colour's and the natural effect of the sun setting and the clouds as the allow the shadow to occur. The sun also indicates once again, 'the light at the end of the tunnel'. The front cover is very simple, just like the rest of my digipak, how I want to create it, going against the norms of a pop ballad artist. However, I feel this draft does feel 'empty' and needs a slight change or different aspect to it to 'balance' it. Therefore I shall try and improve on this in my final piece. I decided to go with a white font to ensure it was bold enough on the background and easily readable, while using a solid captial font for the title to show the strength behind the individual and aspect hopefully created. Where as I used a 'handwriting' type font for the actual artists name to create a personal feel as the rest of the digipak and feel is quite dominant, this changes the feel slightly and creates a relationship with the audience and artist. I will keep the main idea the same for my final piece as I love the picture and fonts used.

Draft One - Inside Cover

 
I wanted to use a image of a basketball hoop for my inside cover where the CD will be placed. I wanted it to be a close up shot due to it being the main focus and representing success, particuarly this shot. I want the song/video to represent success and the person being successful, so I thought it would be good to put an image like this to show this - particuarly when they take the CD out to listen to it, this is what they will see. I personally like this image because it shows someone being successful and the ball going in. However, the picture looks quite modern in comparison to the rest of the effect I'm going for with the antique effect. Therefore, I potentially should use a more 'rusty' or 'old school' effect. I shall think of this when creating my final design for this aspect.



Draft - Lyric Page

 
This is my first draft for a lyrics page. I have once again stuck to the antique, rusty effect throughout to show continuity, deciding to use a simple image of the clouds taken once more from my video footage. By using the sky it indicates the idea that talent is 'reaching for the sky' reflecting them going for their dreams and succeed. Once again I stuck with the inital idea of the bold font for the title to maintain it stands out, while also making key words in the lyrics bold and a bigger. Although I like the idea of making the words bold, I think i'll decrease the font again so it's all the same size so it sticks with conventions a bit more. I made the font black again to allow it to stand out on the background again, and as stated before, allow continuity meaning it looks more professional. I will repeat this aspect when creating my final pieces.

Draft One - Thank You Page


Here is my first draft of my Thank You page. I decided to try and use a different colour scheme, however it may be better if I used the same colour scheme as I have throughout, even though I like the purple colour. This would ensure I kept continutity throughout like many digipaks do, continuing with the same theme throughout. I like the image, so I will just change the colour scheme to match the rest of the product so far. The image is once more going with the theme of using a tree to show the growth of the person so I thought this was key when thanking people throughout the process, it also sticks to the simple approach. I decided to try grey font instead of black due to the change of background colour, however, it was sutbler, it was more difficult to read and this is an important part in the digipak due to the personal nature of it. I also decided to change the font to show it was an important part of the pack and different from the rest. The rest is fully based on the musical side of it. Where as, this part is personally from the artist so I felt I needed to use a different style of font, still simple, but using a handwriting style, the same as on the cover, to conclude when writing her name. This was once again to indicate a personal approach rather than a serious one. Overall, I actually like my initial draft, therefore I will stick to the ideas I have, just change the colour scheme slightly to make sure it fits with what I want to create.

Draft Two - Thank You Page


 
I tried changing the colour of the font on this draft, while remaining with the same initial idea. However, I prefer the grey to the white as it's easier to read and stands out more. Although, I think I will use a black font when changing the colour of the background as I feel it will stand out more and be more relevant along with keeping with the theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment