Wednesday 5 December 2012

41. Digipak Final Designs

Final Digipak Designs

After looking and analysing my drafts I discovered improvements that could be made to make them better and look more professional. In some cases more improvements needed making than others, however, overall I have happy with the final results and believe they portray what I wish to create and the idea behind them. I have gone with the simplistic approach but still believe this is effective - just like The Script's digipak I researched. Here are my final designs;

Front Cover

My front cover remained similar to my first draft. I decided to stick with the same image and fonts I had used, along with the colour schemes. However, It did seem like it needed something else as it was very simple. Therefore to add something extra I used the 'parental advirsory' sign that's used when there is explicit language in it. This has stuck to conventions of digipak designs, typically The Script's as I aimed to use similar conventions to them, despite them not being from the pop ballad genre, I felt this would fit the idea I wanted to create better. I went against the conventions of pop ballad digipak designs, for example, Christina Aguilera's orginial digipak designs where explicit, often with pitures of her in an explicit nature on. I have gone totally against this as I have not used a picture of my talent or indiviual on the front, proving to go completely against the conventions of Laura Mulvey and her theory that all women are shown in a sexual manor. I have not even used my individual on the main advertisment and front cover of my digipak showing this was not seen as a main aspect at all and the main focus was on the background images and how powerful they can be.

I decided to remain with the fonts I used as they represent the strong nature of the individual while also portraying the 'personal' relationship between the artist and the audience by using the 'handwriting' style of writing. I chose to put this in the middle of the picture to show the title was a prime factor and important to what I was trying to create. The white font stands out on the darker background enabling the audience to read it easily so can immediately see what the product is. 

I like the way I have gone against all the conventions and created something very different to co-inside with my idea that works against the norm. After researching Laura Mulvey I recognised that the majority of people follow this common theme and I didn't want to conform. I like the simplistic approach of it because it contrasts what I want to create, my whole idea is complex to me with meaning, so it contradicts this but has underlying meaning to me personally. 


Back Cover






Here is my final back cover, I decided to use the initial idea from my drafts, slightly adapting this to create my final piece. I decided to keep the same image from the draft with the same effect and maintain the same theme to create continuity and show this as a 'trademark' effect and theme so it's easily recognisable and looks professional. I like the image I have used due to the fact it's a solid image. As I said when analysing my draft, I wanted to use a solid, simple image, using the vintage effect to create a 'black and white' effect, representing the two sides of failing and succeeding. The tree to the left also creates a metaphor and represents the individual growing and becoming a better person in sport and life, which is what I wanted to create, also representing the end of the digipak and 'journey' the audience have been on with the artist from start to finish. The way the tree branches indicates people lead off and become their own individuals, despite beginning from the same point. Although I took the image from the video itself, I believe this is a good point because it actually shows what I wanted to and fits perfectly, with the correct shot and angles I wished to use. 

As I said before, I love the lighting of the picture as it goes from darker towards the bottom, and light at the top, portraying that things are a struggle to begin with but with the perseverance the individual is able to reach the top and the 'light at the end of the tunnel' towards the end of the video. Throughout it shows them working hard to achieve and the light represents this. When I videoed this aspect it was a winter night, just as the sun was setting so it was a perfect opportunity to get this effect to allow it to work. 

When deciding on the final font and colour, I decided to remain with the same font to continue continuity throughout as due to research, I have recognised many artists keep the same kind of font throughout, a signature font that is automatically associated with the artist. I wanted to create this idea as my ideas don't really signify and include many pictures of the artist herself, so people will need to recognise her somehow, using this font is a way to do it. The font is solid representing the strength of the individual and the black means that it is able to stand out on the image and is easily readable. I decided to make the font bigger so it stood out more but was also in proportion as before it was very small in comparison to the contrast of the picture, I now feel it looks far better, bigger.  

I included the bar code and scan code to maintain key conventions of the back cover of a digipak and to maintain it looked professional. The scan code allows intertextuality and that people can access different aspects of the media, gaining a larger fan base with different forms, it's a common feature with cd covers/digipak covers as the majority of people own smart phones and technology is ever growing. To add to this, I included the email address of the artist as some people may wish to access her in different forms of text and find out more information that would be easily reached on the website. This would easily increase the fan base as people from all over the world would be able to go onto this website and read/research about the artist. It would also mean an increase of promotion opportunities. 

Finally, I included aspects from the record label. For example, information about who released it to ensure the rights are recognised and also the label logo so people will recognise and associate with other artists. This is also to show who has released it to audiences so they get credit for signing the artist. It's also another convention I recognised. For example, the rights are regularly shown on the CD cover. 

Overall, I am happy with my final front cover due to the fact I've gone against the conventions of a usual pop ballad digipak, particularly the ones I researched that contained many explicit images. I remained simple, yet effective and I think it paid off. It leaves the individual viewing it how they wish to view it but doesn't allow the focus to be lead to the artist and the sexual aspects of them like many do. It goes further into the meaning behind the video which is what I would rather the audience recognise as I feel this is sometimes substituted or used in music. 


Inside Cover


I decided to go against the idea that I initially showed in my drafts. This was due to the fact throughout my digipak, it has a very vintage effect with the editing effect I've used and the lighting, therefore the image of the modern basketball hoop didn't seem to fit in with this aspect. Although I liked the image of the ball going in the hoop, I like the image I have used here. 

I like this image due to the fact it shows two key elements. For example, the main aspects are of the hoop to the right, showing a worn basketball hoop, representing it's been used many times. This represents the individual working hard and remaining working hard until they're worn. However, although it doesn't show the ball actually going in it represents the hard work they're putting in. Although, the clouds to the left are a large element of the picture, maintaining the thought that the sky is the limit for the individual as in this picture, the sky doesn't stop. I wanted to use this picture of the basketball hoop to remain with the vintage feel.

Once again, the lighting ensures that it gets lighter towards the top, showing the 'light at the end of the tunnel' feel again. I wanted to create this throughout, particularly where the CD will be placed. 


Lyrics Pages

These are my final lyrics page designs, showing two of them. I decided again with the simplistic effect as I thought this would be most successful. I maintained the same theme again to continue with the continuity, with the vintage effect.
I decided to use an image as the background of the page as I thought it fit with the idea. Once again, it's simple and of the clouds. Although it represents the individual striving towards what they want to succeed, with the idea once more that the sky is the limit.

I have once again used a black font to go against the image as it does stand out, using the same font for the header again, to continue the common theme. I decided to make key words bold as I wanted them to stand out, as for me they're key words that portray the idea I wanted to achieve. I used the lyrics to continue with my idea and progress it, supporting the idea, so I wanted the audience to also see this. I decided to keep these words the same size font though as I believed it looked more professional, yet, slightly going against the conventions to make it more indivdual.

I have also made the lyrics so they are not broken up into verses and chorus'. This is to represent the on going journey the individual has when continuially working, they don't have a break or stop until they've reached the end so I have written the lyrics in this form to co-inside with that. I would essentially try to fit both songs on one page however the songs are very long so this was not possible. Obviously if I was to include all the lyrics pages, this would be made into a booklet.


Thank You Pages



 

A Thank You page is a key convention portrayed in a digipak and I wished to follow this as it's very rare an artist doesn't include it. They often include Thank You's to their managament, family and influential people in the making of their albums. I also included messages to these people to fit these and make it more professional.

I decided to use an image of  a tree against to represent the growth and the fact that the artist wouldn't have made these growths without the people they're thanking so I believe it's a key image. The tree still continues off the page, showing that it isn't the end for the individual either so I like this idea. I stuck with the conventions I've used throughout with the vintage style, meaning the tree is more shadowed and reamins stood out in comparison with the rest of the page light once again.

I have used the same font once more for the heading, however, a different font for the actual text to show to the audience it's a key aspect as the Thank You's are important to the artist, as without the people that help musicans, they wouldn't get as far as they do. I finished off with the handwriting style font as well to create a personal aspect once more and to show that the artist is actually grateful and writing the words.









No comments:

Post a Comment